Jobs & Opportunities
Job Title: Director of Commercial Enterprise
Company: Lincoln Area Regeneration Group (LARG), trading as Poplar Union
Location: Poplar Union 2 Cotall Street E14 E14 6TL
Salary: £40,000-42,000 (2.5 days per week inc eves & nonsocial hrs, pension and NI at 3%)
About LARG: The Lincoln Area Regeneration Group is a community-driven organisation dedicated to revitalizing and enhancing the Poplar and Bow area of Tower Hamlets. Committed to the betterment of the community, the charity works collaboratively to address key issues, such as urban development, infrastructure improvement, and environmental sustainability. By engaging with local stakeholders, government agencies, and residents, the Lincoln Area Regeneration Group aims to foster positive changes that contribute to the area’s economic growth and quality of life. Through various initiatives and projects, they aspire to create a more vibrant, inclusive, and prosperous community for all who call Bow and Poplar their home.
About Poplar Union: Poplar Union, where LARG operates all it’s activities from, is a dynamic and vibrant cultural centre dedicated to promoting the arts, creativity, and community engagement in. Our mission is to bring people together through a diverse range of artistic, cultural, and community programs. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment that empowers both individuals and the community.
Position Overview: Poplar Union is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Director of Commercial and Enterprise to lead our commercial and enterprise operations, and member of the senior management team. The Director of Commercial and Enterprise will play a pivotal role in driving Poplar Union’s financial growth, developing new partnerships, and enhancing our revenue streams.
1. Commercial Strategy:
• Promote Poplar Union building, services and talent to commercial clients.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive commercial strategy to increase Poplar Union’s revenue and profitability.
• Identify and pursue new business opportunities, and partnerships.
• Analyse market trends and competition to make data-driven decisions and set targets for earned income.
• Working with SMT to identify and implement innovations in earned income.
2. Enterprise Partnerships:
• Build and maintain strong relationships with corporate partners, sponsors, and local businesses.
• Collaborate with the community to identify opportunities for mutually beneficial partnerships.
• Negotiate and manage partnership agreements and contracts.
3. Revenue Generation:
• Oversee the sales and marketing teams to optimise ticket sales, event bookings, and merchandise sales.
• Develop and manage pricing strategies to maximise revenue while ensuring accessibility to the community.
• Explore innovative revenue-generating initiatives and oversee their implementation.
• Contributing to future planning for income generation potential, including franchising/outsourcing catering, and other services, eg evening bar programmes etc.
4. Budget Management and Reporting:
• Create and manage budgets for the commercial and enterprise department.
• Monitor financial performance and make adjustments as necessary to achieve revenue goals.
• Report on all financial performance of revenue to senior management and the board.
• Provides data and management support to Director of Programmes.
• Contribution to setting targets based on in-house data.
• Achievement of sales targets overall.
• Provides hiring data and management support.
• Promotion and management of sales and customer technology.
• Proactive implementation of digital technology to achieve sales and compile audience data.
• Updating Policies and procedures.
• Overseeing IT contract.
• Management of the Moorings service/ contracts.
• Part of Event Duty Manager Rota.
• Review and writing of licensing for trade.
6. Team Leadership:
• Foster a collaborative and high-performance culture within the team.
• Provide coaching and mentorship to team members to help them reach their full potential.
• Working with finance managers to maintain the bookkeeping systems.
• Supervision of Executive Administrator.
• Occasional liaison with architects, building inspectors, H&SAW etc as required;
7. Marketing and Promotion:
• Collaborate with the marketing team to develop and execute effective marketing strategies to promote Poplar Union’s commercial offerings.
• Enhance the organisation’s online and offline presence to reach a wider audience.
• Proven experience in commercial and enterprise leadership roles, preferably in the arts and culture sector.
• Strong business acumen with a track record of revenue growth and financial management.
• Excellent negotiation and partnership-building skills.
• Exceptional leadership, team management, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to think creatively and strategically while also being detail-oriented.
• Familiarity with the local arts and cultural scene is a plus.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV and a cover letter detailing their relevant experience and qualifications to Momtaz Ajid- Interim Business Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Poplar Union is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. The deadline for applications is 1st December 2023, and we will review applications on an ongoing basis.